Sunday, July 11, 2010

Iraklio

What can I say about Iraklio.. I do not like the city at all.. However recently the coast line has been fixed and now it actually looks great. To Iraklio we used to go when we wanted to go out as there are some very nice caffes and bars... Just was always wondering why greek people actually do not dance in there, just nod their heads to the rythm with the coctails in their hands... I guess it will remain a mystery :))) however if you wish some trendy places to sit in or nod your head to the music, Iraklio is the place to go...Envy is a nice place by the sea, Desire and Big Fish used to be good... In the center of town, not far from the fountain there is a whole street full of bars and people, so you may wanna hang around there for a while...Need to check what is going on now though.. Will do that:)
For young people whose holiday goal is to have fun should choose Hersonissos or Malia. Very very touristic places, but full of shops, half naked people, bars, discos, car, bike rental companies, in Hersonissos you can ride a horse on the beach... well in these places you can find pretty much everything for fun... Malia has a very good sandy beach which is a huge plus for the resort, while Hersonissos doesn't really. In Hersonissos the beaches are very small, mostly pebbles... One thing you shouldn't miss in Hersonissos is to visit the villages of Priskopiano and Koutouloufari that are situated right above Hersonissos (that is a little up the mountain from new Hersonissos) . Traditional villages with lots of tavernas with a view of Hersonissos.. Which one to choose?? well from my experience the more attention is paid to the interier of taverna the less attention is paid to the food and choose tavernas where you see greek people eating as they know where the good food is.
Oh, one more thing:) In Hersonissos you will find a shop called Back To Nature, where you can find a wide range of natural cosmetics. The owner of the shop Mrs. Gordana is a wonderful lady who will help you to choose what suits you. She actually knows every product she is selling and is always ready to advice and just to chit chat. Found this shop like three years ago and still keep coming back:)
If you are into history and interested in the great minoan past, then you shouldn't miss the opportunity to visit Knossos palace, which is the most famous archeological site in the area. Of course it would be better to read some history first or even better to get a guide who can tell you about the palace, it's society, arts, pottery, religion and traditions. A guided tour is so much more interesting that just to go by yourselves to look at the ruins as the site has a great deal of stories to be told. You will deffinitely find out some interesting facts about the first known civilization in Europe. Knossos is like 3 km from Heraklio, so you can use the chance to go for shopping as well.



Archanes and Peza is worth your attention too. Archanes is only few km away from Iraklio and is a very cosy town to have a walk and have a better look at the cretan life further away from the coast, it has some nice tavernas as well. Peza and Archanes are the regions that grow grapes and are famous for their local wines, so don't miss a chance:)
Which beaches to go once you are in Iraklio? Well... first of all Malia has a good sandy beach, then there is a vast public sandy beach in Kokkini Chani with music playing, all nice and good. As soon as you will pass Kato Gouves on the way from Hersonissos to Iraklio, you will see the sign that leads you to Kokkini Chani. In this village you will also find a new Aquarium. Ammoudara has a long sandy beach as well. Ammoudara is one of the areas in Iraklio. You should look for an exit to Amoudara from the New National road. My favourite ones however are Lygaria and Agia Pelagia beaches which are small bays with nice sand and clear water... Perfect:) These two beaches are situated few km after Iraklio. Again easily found from the National Road. Look for the exit signs:)
Another place worth seeing is Fodele village (27km east from Iraklio) where supposedly or for real the famous painter, sculptor and architect of the Spanish Renaissance Domenikos Theotokopoulos was born. More known as El Greko. In Fodele you can find his house and museum and have a seat in many of Fodeles tavernas by the small river in the shadow of platan trees. Extremely refreshing during the hot summer days. You will find there many craft shops aswell.

One of my favourite places near Iraklio is taverna O KOYMOS. You should take an exit to Anogia and follow the road to Krousonas for a while... then well... ask me:)) It's in the middle of nowhere, but this is a place I always get back now because it's absolutely fantastic, interior decorated with cretan attributes, cretan music and great fresh food for a very good price.. Never seen foreigners in there though, only me and my friends who are with me :) They do not have menu in any other language apart from greek, but I am sure you would manage to order:)

Another suggestion for a road trip :) Matala is the place to go. It is about 70 km South from Iraklio. You should look for the sign to Mires. Before you reach Matala - the famous place of 'Flower Children', the history lovers should shortly stop in Gortyna and Faistos, as after Knossos these are the most important archeological sites in the island. Matala has a great beach and you will be able to check out the hippi caves (well previously they have been used as prehistorical dwellings or worship places and later as tombs). It's worth spending a night in this area in one of many appartments or if you are into the wildlife, then there is a camping site there aswell..
Few km from Matala there is another village worth seeing called Aghia Galini. An idyllic location that lies at the South coast of Crete. The village is built on the hills surrounding the port giving an outstanding few of Lybian Sea. The beach is sandy, when you get into water it has stones. So if you wish to have a swim in there it is better to get the special footwear. In the beach of Aghia Galini was the first time that I have seen alive octopus (not in aquarium), right by the coast... It scared me a little though and later I was afraid to get into water:))) However the place is still great:))
Leading by my wish to explore the Southern part of Crete I turned towards Pyrgos and Tsoutsouros Bay... Lost my way couple of times because of the absence of road signs, but it's ok. Like this sometimes you can discover places you never thought they existed. Once when I took non asphalted road as I wanted to reach Tris Ekklisies, it took me to some vllage in the mountains near Mournia where I could see some houses, some washed black clothes hanging, but not even one person around... I felt like in some ghost town in the middle of nowhere.. I continued though.. And guess what:) Eventually I reached the dead end of the road. Did I mention that the road was very narrow and on my right there was a steep slope.. and I had to turn around... Oh my gosh.. i think I lost 10 years of my life there hehe thinking if I will crash here most probably nobody could even find me here:P Luckily all ended well and I found my way back:) The road to Tsoutsouros was quite fun as well... There was a part of the road where I was praying not to meet any car in front of me as I really did not see how 2 cars can pass on the same road.. So it was quiet of a journey:) Iiked Vianos village as well... I reached it when it was getting dark. Elder greek people were just sitting outside in cafeneio and waving me :) I guess not many visitors get there. So anyway, Southern Crete is so much different from touristic parts of the island.. So if you have time and wish, worth seeing it.. i am not even mentioning that there you can find plenty of great beaches with no people:)

No comments:

Post a Comment